Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Goal 3: Ziplining Accomplished!

Another Goal Accomplished!!

Another Fear Faced Down.


Another Adventure Experienced.



We went ziplining at a local place not too far outside out DC. It was small, but absolutely perfect. The staff was so supportive and so calm - it was great. I'm not sure there was a better way to go, really.

When I expressed hesitation and fear, they were like - "Don't worry about it. Take your time."  "Don't go before you're ready." Supportive and encouraging. Easy to laugh! So generous with their patience.









Good thing too, because there was a required ropes course element.  I convinced myself before arrival that it was obviously going to be "pretty elementary" because it was required - so they wouldn't do anything too scary. Whoops! Mistaken assumption.

Hands down the scariest part about the whole experience - the high ropes course. We went twice, and the second time was ... easier than the first, though it brought me no joy!




I think I said something like, "I'm hating every single second of this!!" and meant it. To which Meghan said, "I believe you because that was said with such conviction." It was awful. The first time through all I could see was how far away the ground was. On the other hand, I went on round 2 and it wasn't so bad the second time. The first time, I had full body shakes which made it worse, whereas the second time, I was a bit calmer and could finally see the steps and wood and support structures a lot better!












It was all the better because of my amazing friends!! Meghan boldly took the lead, facing all the obstacles first - then turning around and coaching me through them WHILE photographing the whole thing! I can't say thank you enough! Lauren, was steadfast and looked like she'd done this course already. Watching her walk through the ropes course like it was just walking awkwardly around some messy part of the street. Totally casual. Loved it.



Nothing like being with brave, bold women for a little extra inspiration! Thank you both!



All geared up!
The beginning of the day started with an "on the ground" course. Which was brilliant. And yet. Look at that (very red) face I'm making! And that death grip. Yeah- still scared, even on the ground! But if I hadn't taken that leap of faith, I'm not sure I wouldn't have chickened out when we went out on high.






Every single time I stepped out off one the ledges ( into the Abyss is what I felt like I was doing each time), it was a leap of faith. And it got easier each time, but was scary even on the last run. But this just encapsulated exactly what this whole 40 before 40 endeavor was meant to be teaching me. In the end, I loved it. And would do it again!


At the end - Like a pro!




Yeah - doesn't that pole seem high?! Freakishly high?! I think so too.
But no big thing! I got this.


2 comments:

  1. It really was the best time! You kicked butt, Kat! By the second time through, you were handling ziplining like a boss. The next time we go (hint, hint), let's try tackling more of the ropes course. Again, thanks for letting me share in the adrenaline-soaked fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Kudos on all that character-building adventure!

    ReplyDelete