Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Classic 5 of 40: The Sound and The Fury


 The Sound and the Fury, William Faulkner.

Why the Sound and the Fury? 
I wanted to read something by Faulkner. I was browsing through the used books at the Portland Airport Powells, and found this, and thought, "Perfect!" And away I went.

My Mini Book Review: 
Total honesty: I hated this book. Every page was a challenge to read. I wanted to like it. I wanted to appreciate it. But I couldn't. It made me feel dumb. It made me angry. The book is dark and depressing as far as content goes, but I failed to find the joy in it. I suppose it wasn't intended to convey joy.  There were a couple of poignant moments, some amazing insights into the human condition, but overall - I didn't feel it was worth it. This book was a slog.

I could actually go on about the reasons I disliked this book. But will suffice it to say, it just wasn't my cup of tea!

Recommended?
For those interested in a literary challenge. If you're a lover of true literature. Fans of Shakespeare, and the old classics. But this not a light beach read, by any means! 




No comments:

Post a Comment