Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2015

2015 Goals: 6 months in!

Time for a little check in and reevaluation of goals.

It's half way through the year and some of my goals are going well, some are.... struggling to get time on the calendar.


1. Reading 

2015 Goal: Total books: 12-15 (at least 1 per month).

UPDATE: So I have made almost no progress. Just as before, I have read 7 books (3 classics, 1 modern non-fiction, and 2 best sellers, 1 history). 

I'm currently NOT enjoying reading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and hit quite a stumbling block. My friend Lauren suggesting setting it aside for a bit and reading something I knew I'd like - so am currently reading the 4th Outlander book, Drums of Autumn, and can't wait to read it each morning on the train and each night before bed! Reconnected to reading. That was the perfect suggestion. Back to Jules Verne later.

I have also been to a great book shop in South Carolina and now have a stack of books to carry me through the rest of the year! 

2. Biking 
2015 Goals include a couple of bike classes, and a partial and full century ride + a spin goal.

UPDATE : So far, I have still only reached my spin goal. I had been considering tossing many of these goals aside in place of different fitness goals (like being able to do a push up by the end of the year), but... am persuaded to give it another couple of months.

I recently discovered that my beloved spin studio is closing it's doors. and while I'm truly crushed more than i can say, I am taking it as a sign to renew my interest in cycling and to try to push myself to actually get on a freaking bike this year.

3. Travel 
Goals include day trips, a new state, and a girls weekend. 

UPDATE: I have been to  Arizona and  Illinois to see family. I have been to South Carolina (that's two new states!). And went to California and Utah for work (squeezing in some friend time along the way where possible) - soon to be off to Colorado for work. 
In addition have taken day trips to Annapolis and Lancaster County (Dutch/Amish Country!), and the Calvert Cliffs. 
All in all, pretty darn good. 



4.  Culture  

The Beautiful Postal Museum! All the mail carrying planes. Amazing.
Goals include more Kennedy Center events (at least 4 or other free events such as Smithsonian, Embassies), a play, lectures and new museums.

UPDATE:  I have been to a couple of  free Kennedy Center events, 4 lectures, a play at the Wooly Mammoth, a musical at the Kennedy Center, a concert at Merriweather,  saw Cheryl Strayed, and made it to two new museums: the Postal Museum with Polly, we finally made it! and the Freer with Katharine.  Still Feeling good about filling up on culture.

This is/was the postal museum dog and mascot the travelled around the globe after being taken in by a post office.









Still to Plan: an Embassy event and a Smithsonian lecture (the Freer did include a talk about the art, but I'd like to squeeze in one more formal talk if possible - I have 6 more months to accomplish it, right?).







5. Career 
Goals include: applying for the local Bar association, Joining a networking group or association, and getting Business Cards.

UPDATE: I have received business cards, went to a networking event, and am strategizing next steps.


6.  Spiritual Upkeep
Goals include Journaling - at least twice per month, and going to Church at least twice per quarter.

UPDATE: I'm doing better ... at journaling! Not so much with church.  I have decided that I will look for church alternatives - such as going to Evensong Sunday afternoon, meditations, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment