Pages

Monday, September 19, 2016

Goal 31: Shoot a Gun, Accomplished!



Another goal accomplished! 10 out of 40, actually - a quarter of the way!

I shot a gun. A .22 caliber!
This whole experience brought up so many things for me (facing fears on my own, The American gun experience, America's obsession and divide on gun issues) - but - I loved it. Way more than I expected.

So how did this even become a goal?

I was raised in a very strict anti-gun household. Not only were no toy guns allowed in my house, no one was allowed to even use other toys and pretend they were guns. When I asked the instructor to take a photo of me with my first shot, I said, "My mom is going to be so disappointed in me!" Sure enough her response to the photo was, "Omg! Daughter of a hippie!"

When I was teaching in Japan, though, I had so many students that went to America and went to shooting ranges to try shooting - An American experience. And a uniquely American experience in some ways. So many students would assume I was a gun owner because I'm American. They were shocked to find out I'd never shot or held a gun. At first I thought it was crazy that these students were coming to the States and taking time out of their trip to go to a shooting range. But eventually I started wondering why these Japanese students were open to the experience and I wasn't? So, my goal was set.


I learned so much more from it than I ever expected.



The Experience.

I found a Living Social deal for half off a beginner lesson at a place in Rockville (Gilbert Indoor Range), just outside of DC. There was a video lesson, a test on gun safety, and then hands on lessons about the mechanics of the gun, followed by going out on the range.








The whole set up was great for me. I loved the slow approach. I found myself super nervous going in. I was on my own - no one to nervous giggle with. No one to crack jokes with. No one to share in my terrible or awesome bullseye hitting.



I got to shoot at various distances - 10, 15, 20, and 30 feet.
The instructor was a middle aged guy, former military. His daughter had just given birth to his first grandchild that night. Yet, here he was: Sharp, kind, patient. He was so supportive with lots of positive reinforcement. And lots of little quizzes. I was the only one in the class - so we went at my pace - it was unhurried, but not dull.

I was surprised how heavy the gun was and how heavy the elements of the gun were - the bolt release, the magazine release, the safety. I was surprised how tired my arms got holding it out for a long time and how quickly my eyes got blurry.






Me & My First shot! I was so relieved that I hit the paper at all - let alone anywhere near the target!


A few reflections.


Facing the fear of shooting a guy, by myself was interesting. I had way more nervous butterflies than I expected. "These are real guns, Dummy," kept going through my head. "Anything can happen!" When they kept calling it a HOT range (because people fire whenever they want not at all at the same time), it made me kind of wish I had someone with me. When the instructor told me I was going to shoot the last 40 rounds by myself, I thought, "But, who's going to cover my six?!" But - wouldn't you know it - of course, I felt all that much stronger having gone alone and made it through.


All the gun issues kept swirling. Gun violence in America is a source of pretty big frustration for me - so what  was I doing going to a gun range? But how can I go bananas about something constitutionally protected that I haven't even tried?


When the uber driver taking me from the metro to the range called and asked where I was going - I said I was going to a shooting range, he was like, "Whoa" as in ... I was wondering if I was going to need to call another ride. On the other hand, the uber driver who picked me up when it was over talked to me about it. I told him, I was raised anti-gun; almost knee jerk reaction, he was like - "I'm pro gun ...I'm conservative, and I'm pro gun, and I think the NRA does a lot in the country to defend gun safety." - but then said he'd never shot one! We ended up talking about the lesson and the experience - it was actually really nice.


In my brief discussion with uber driver #2, I said that I thought both sides try to make a very nuanced argument way too simple. Anti-gun Liberals are crazy to say or imply that no one should have a gun. An Oregon judge recently said that all guns should be thrown in the ocean. I completely understand the sentiment. And while I would love to live in a world where we could abolish all guns and weapons, that's not the world we live in. A lot of liberals aren't saying that we need to take them all but it can seem like that's all that pro-gun conservatives hear sometimes. Similarly, just because you can arm yourself doesn't mean that you should be able to arm yourself with anything that you can label as a gun. Not all regulations are a slippery slope towards taking away all the guns, but I understand why it can feel that way. It's a messy, emotional subject and there are strong arguments on both sides.


I will say this, I bought my gun lesson for my birthday - and since then have been watching all these post-apocalyptic shows (Falling Skies, The Walking dead, The Fifth Wave, The Last Ship) - and I have to tell you, it made me really happy I had a gun lesson on the books.


Look at all those bullseyes!




Goal Met: I went outside my comfort zone.  I tried something new. I loved it. I learned a lot about me I didn't expect to. And, I'd go again tomorrow. 

2 comments:

  1. Well, shoot. You are one strong woman...so it's good you know how this thing works. Self defense is always advisable...and if you gotta shoot...best to hit for what you're aimin fer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I now have a way better chance of hitting what I'm aiming for! ... So long as it remains entirely still at no more than 20 feet away. Hmm... maybe I should practice more?!

      Delete