Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Classic 7 of 40: The Hounds of Baskerville.

Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. 





So iconic.  So screen adapted. And until recently, sadly unread by me.

I'm a fan of so many Sherlock interpretations, it's probably no surprise that I enjoyed the book as well as I did. However, I was nervous that I wouldn't enjoy it so much. That the book may be less than all it's built up to become in modern times.

Very pleased to report that my concerns were not fulfilled. Sherlock is as cocky and condescending as ever; Watson is steadfast and true.

What a delightful classic. A cheerful detour in the land of classics. Lighthearted and mysterious. I would be happy to read more of these - as thankfully - the English begged of Sir Arthur to continue writing after his first stories. They are thoughtful, precise, and masterfully woven. But really, just a fun read.

In the most recent film depiction with Sir Ian McClellan as an aging Mr. Holmes, he describes the books as "penny dreadfuls with elevated prose." I do love that line, and can see how I would have loved them as  a weekly read. Unlike Jules Verne - I found Mr. Holmes' story as told through his ever-loyal sidekick Dr. Watson - remained captivating.

Recommended: Absolutely. For mystery lovers and for anyone ready for a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment