Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Goal 29: Mud Baths in Napa


It feels like my whole life, my mother has been talking about going to the mud baths in Napa "one day." When I was young we lived in the Napa Valley for a year or so - and it was a beautiful time. We used to drive back through on occasion, and even then my mom would say how nice it would be to go to these mud baths. A spa day. One day.

Conceptually - it seems absurd. Why pay people to sit in mud?! But... it's not just any mud. It's warm mud! It's actually pretty hot. And has all sorts of goodness in it. In all honesty, I have no idea why it was so good for us. But i can't argue with the results.

On a recent trip to San Francisco, we made that one day a reality. At the Golden Haven Spa in Calistoga, California.



I was feeling really confident about the whole thing. We were booked for a couples afternoon - they said any two people can be a couple. And I was ready for my day at the spa! I'll tell you what, though, we walked in - and the smell of sulfur and minerals was a little overpowering. It started seeming like it really was silly pay to sit in mud - is that why they made us pay first, I thought??


The sweet attendant gave us a brief demonstration with instructions on how to get in. Looked easy enough! And then my mom, just did it. Easy, right? But I got there, and was suddenly envisioning being the one that falls in - and splatters really expensive mud all over! With a little extra coaching, I finally made it in. And sure enough - you just kind of float. It's weird and awesome. And weird. Did I mention that already? I tried not to think about it too much, but just enjoy the warmth and relax.

Our attendant sprayed the California scent of my childhood memories - eucalyptus - and it was instantly relaxing. She brought us ice water and cool towels for our foreheads. She put a face-mask on us made of ... More mud. A different mud. A cool, smooth mud. She painted in our faces with mud.  Total mud coverage: accomplished.



Anyway, the ten minutes sped by. We showered and jacuzzied in the mineral spring water. We went for the blanket wrap (which is included in the mud bath and is arguably the most relaxing part).

We capped it all by a massage. A really good choice. Because if you're doing the spa day you've talked about for 30 years, add the massage!

All in all a day of much needed bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment