Pages

Sunday, February 15, 2015

#2 of 40: The Grand Canyon - First Completed!

The Grand Canyon: First of 40 Completed!


I made it!! The Grand Canyon.

Desert View (near the East Entrance of the South Rim). The Watchtower, designed by Mary Colter, completed 1932.


It was an unexpected trip in some respects, but all of it was beautiful.



My mom & I had been talking about going to watch my cousin play in a softball tournament this year - because somehow it's her final year in college. And we picked the one in Arizona. Not knowing anything beyond what google maps offered us, we booked!

We stayed in Sedona. We hoped that the weather would cooperate and we'd be able to make it through the snow to the Grand Canyon. Fingers crossed, I boarded the flight from below freezing DC.

It was clear by the time I had made it to my layover in Atlanta and my family had made it to Phoenix that things were going to work out! It was a toasty 81 degrees in Phoenix and snow free in Sedona!!



We spent the first day driving back to Phoenix to watch my amazing cousin play in their first tournament of the year - we were all adjusting to the beating sun and heat. The players had the brunt of it - with no shade cover at all. Yikes. Check this girl out!

On Day 2, we could wait no longer! Off to the Grand Canyon we went!! Starting from Sedona was great. It was a little cooler, already in the red rocks, and closer to the big destination - meaning more time to see the national park!

My nephew, Lennon, taking in the vastness of the Grand Canyon. Adorable!

 During the drive  - full with plenty car games provided by "Grandma" (a.k.a. my mom) to keep my nephews entertained, we kept climbing in elevation. I had absolutely no idea that the Grand Canyon was so high up in altitude. On the drive up we were reaching over 7,000 feet. But we made it!


We practically ran to our first outlook (it may have been the need for a restroom break, but I choose to believe it was the view we were eager to get to!) Thankfully, and skillfully planned, there was a watch tower at the first post - allowing us to climb and climb and climb up some narrow steps and look out a little further with each level.


We had a picnic lunch over looking the deep crevasses - and had the too-close-for-comfort company of a raven. Ravens were all over. Much the boys delight and my dismay. We found out this guy had eyed a little bit of PB&J crust and was waiting for the moment to jump in for the grab. Which he got!
Raven eyeing my mom's lunch!

We pulled out and each look out, and kept saying we wouldn't get out, but couldn't help ourselves. Each stop was stunning. Each view was breath taking.


When we reached the visitor's center the map showed that after miles of stopping and viewing and gasping at the beauty - we had barely begun to view the whole park. We had only ventured a very small way in!! I was floored. It really is SO. Big. I was amazed. I am thrilled to have a reason (or dozens of reasons, really) to return.

Though we had hoped to venture out on the viewing platform - the glass one that goes out over the canyon for a dizzying view downward - but found out that we were on the wrong side of the canyon! We were on the South Rim, and apparently it's on the North Rim. Reason to go back!


While we did "hike," it was on a paved path along the rim. It was beautiful.

That thing happens where people at the park are just happy to be there. Everyone was a little giddy. February was a beautiful time to be there. The weather was lovely. The crowds were present, but sparse.

River - fountain of Grand Canyon knowledge!


The canyon - as my nephew River educated me - is a vertical mile! I was shocked that it was "only" a mile to the bottom. Clearly, it takes much longer than a mile to reach the bottom, but somehow it was still a surprise. One day, I would love to hike or raft down at the bottom!


But for now, I'm happy to have made it and seen one of the majestic beauties our country has to offer.



Sunset snack spot on the Canyon Rim!!Yavapai Point






As the sun was beginning to set, we scrambled a little bit to find a good viewing spot. The maps offered at the park are atrocious! Appalling, even! As the road options are limited, we ended up at Yavapai Point (near the Geology museum) - for a snack and sunset experience!

One couple had a bottle of wine. Brilliant!

We had trail mix & fresh Grand Canyon water - delicious!

The boys - enjoying watching the sun go down over the South rim.




I'm so glad that not only did I make to the gorgeous Grand Canyon - but got to make it their with my mom, Dennis, River, and Lennon. I am one lucky woman! Thanks to each of you for being there!

The Grand Canyon crew! At Grandview Point

No comments:

Post a Comment