Pages

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Classic Book 1 of 40: Gone with the Wind

Why is Reading Classics is on the list in the first place?  
I had fallen out of the habit of reading, generally (except my beloved spy thrillers). But mostly, I feel there are so many classics that I ignore when I impulsively opt for the latest best seller or spy thriller (guilty pleasures - no shame about this).  Having only one classic novel on my 40 by 40 list would be fail in making a real new life experience. I figured it is only natural and fitting to read 40! That seems fine, right? 40 books in more than 5 years. pssh. That's nothing. Or so I thought, then I realized it means 8 classics per year.  Meanwhile, I am, of course, not reading exclusively classics for the next five years, so the challenge portion of this goal is to read 40 classics in addition to my other reading!

Why Gone with the Wind? 
This oft-referenced book creeps up in conversation constantly, in television and movie references. It's a famous movie that I hadn't seen and a famous book I hadn't read. I read about characters in books reading it and always felt a little ridiculous having not read it. That's all changed now! Finally, I understand Scarlett O'Hara. 

Mini Book Review: 
Amazing book. For those who haven't read it - I'll say that I was surprised how big the book was when it arrived. It's huge, but so compelling that at a certain point I was happy the book was so long - because there was more of the story to enjoy!

The characters lept from the page from the beginning. I felt the heat, the excitement, and the setbacks. I shook my head in frustration and wanted to shout at Scarlett. And chapter after chapter I thought, how could it get better? But it did. Gone with the Wind was intense and gripping.

Finally, I understand the epic nature of the novel and how it's stood the test of time. Simply gripping. Bonus: I finally know all the references outside of the famous, "Frankly my Dear, I don't give a damn!"

Conclusion: This was a book worth the hype, worth the time to read. Thumbs up!

Recommend this Classic? Yes. For those ready to sink into a story set in the South, a story with depth, with strong willed and frustrating characters that will take you on quite a journey. For those that love the movie and want more!

No comments:

Post a Comment