Pages

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Classic Book 2 of 40: Candide

 
Why Candide? 

My good friend Lauren told me about 3 years ago that I should read this book. I said, in passing, that I should read more classic literature. She said I should read Voltaire. I think my response was something like, "What?! Voltaire! I don't think so."

Lauren assured me it was not only good, I would like it. 

As usual, she was right.

My mini Book Review: 

Candide was the perfect book to read after Gone with the Wind. It was short! Super short. Just over 100 pages. The pages are packed full of adventure. With plenty of misadventure. It's philosophical as you would expect from, you know, a French philosopher.

The title, Candide or the Optimist. The book was not what I was expecting. There were gruesome parts and delightful parts. It was simple in language, in fact, it seemed like the story was simple. But it was rich in depth and lacked pretentiousness. It was a delightful read.

Recommended? Yes. For those looking for a good plot that's an easy read, and/or those looking for some philosophical contemplations. This book lends itself to being just a good story or something more for those who want to spend some time thinking about perspective on life.


No comments:

Post a Comment