Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

All the Light We Cannot See

A special book review edition for this phenomenal book!




Recommended by an attorney is my office - I'm so happy I took the time out of my regularly scheduled reading for this book. Not only is this book absolutely incredible, and well deserving of far better praise than I could give it, but it has a deep connection with one of the classics I have already reviewed. 

Set in World War II Germany and France. Primarily told through the point of view of a young, blind French girl and a young German boy. An often romanticized era, this book brought a new perspective. A simplistic vantage point to the war told through a complex series of events and flashbacks.

The quick back and forths might be too much for some readers (chapters were typically 2-5 pages), but the story was quite strikingly told.

More than one of the unpretentious subtleties of the book hit me like a two by four.  There were overwhelming emotional truisms, that struck out of no where. Much like war - it was hard not to recognize the parallel artfully portrayed.

Had to make special stop in Paris: Museum of Natural History

Science has a strong presence in all aspects of All the Light We Cannot See. The young girl's father works at the Natural History Museum in Paris. The young boy shows an early interest in mechanics.

Throughout the book, the author wove a little ode to Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. You may recall, that was no where near a favorite of mine. But this book made it come to life in a whole new way. The sense of discovery and adventure written by Jules Verne was highlighted and made me excited to understand the references.

I can't help but wonder if I would have enjoyed 20,000 Leagues more if I'd read it after this book. But I was glad to have had it under my belt as well - because it certainly added a depth to this book as I read along.


Recommended for: History buffs! WWII buffs! Those who enjoy an exceptionally well woven story.

A Special Thank You:  to my Dad and Nora for this book as a Christmas Present!

Jardins des Plantes!

No comments:

Post a Comment