Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Goal 15: Return to France. Accomplished!

So very happy to say that I finally made it back to France!



I can't believe it took 15 - FIFTEEN - years. But I made it back. And it was just as wonderful as I remember. Maybe better because I appreciate it more now.

The art. The endless art. The cafes. The wine. The sounds - of every day french being spoken, of the trains, of the emergency vehicles, of the hustle and bustle of Paris. The cafes, did I mention the cafes?

After I studied in France, I met someone who told me that it had taken her ten years to return to France and how sad she was about that. That was never going to be me, I knew it. I loved France. I adored it. I wanted to be there every year or really regularly. I realized that there were other placed I wanted to visit, but assumed that now that I'd been, it would just be a part of my life. And, it has been - but only in my heart! Not as a stamp my passport.



It only cost a little bit more to add a weekend to Paris to our trip to Iceland - and I knew it would be worth it. Little did I know that Snowzilla would perfectly time itself to allow us to extend our short Paris weekend to a long Paris weekend!

We were able to see the Musee d'Orsay, the Eiffel Tower, the Sacre Coeur, and for me... a dream come true: Versailles! I wanted to see Versailles when I studied in France - but never made it. And of course, I had assumed I'd be back before long. Over the years, whenever it's mentioned, I always kick myself a little bit - how did I not go? When we got those extra days, I knew I'd have time! I made my way out of Paris on the short train ride to Versailles, and it was gorgeous.

It was a Monday, so the main castle was closed - but I was able to wander the grounds. The grounds were winterized, which ended up being beautiful. The fountains weren't running, but they were still filled with water - reflecting perfectly the majesty of the grounds and sculptures. Just stunning. I was most surprised my how many French families were there for the day, picnicing and how many people were using it as a place for running. But if I lived nearby, I think I might consider becoming a runner just lovely grounds.

I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story. 





























No comments:

Post a Comment